Old February 2nd 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Fred McKenzie

Default 802.11 link

In article , "Bryan Martin"
wrote:

My question and what I am trying to get my head around is if I
could get by with just a standard wireless router without any external addon
or booster antenna at siteB. Common sense tells me that even though its
shaped similar to a L as long as the signal coming off siteB is present at
the end of the powerline then I should be able to pick it up from the grid
antenna.

Bryan-

I don't think the power line has anything to do with your signal.

One technique that has been used to get around corners, is use of a
passive reflector (metal grid?), sometimes called a "billboard". It is a
lossy method, but not nearly as bad as what you seem to be trying to do!

The structures between sites may not block all signals. With 24dB at each
end, there might be enough signal to complete the link if two parabolic
antennas were pointed at each other.

Your greatest chance of success would be to erect a mast at each end, and
mount the parabolic antennas high enough to shoot line-of-sight above any
obstacles.

How do you measuring success? One program that works with a wireless
card, is called Stumbler. (I have the Macintosh version.) It detects
wireless hotspots, and gives an indication of signal strength.

Fred