Old September 24th 03, 06:41 PM
Dave Shrader

I weigh approximately 40# on the moon!!! Too skinny for my height 5"9".

I better stay here. But my doctor wants me to loose 40#. Something's
wrong. I need a Twinkie!!

DD

Richard Clark wrote:

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 16:45:38 GMT, Gene Nygaard
wrote:

Apparently you are claiming that pounds are not units of mass.

Where did you learn that?

Being the skeptic that I am, how can I convince myself that that is
true? Is there some textbook, or something from some national
standards agency, that would help me verify this?

Gene Nygaard

Hi Gene,

Exactly. Perhaps you should re-consider the simple illustration of
difference that I offered in the post you responded to.

Does the weight you measure on a bathroom scale change from the earth
to the moon because your mass changed too? Jenny Craig would have an
armada of shuttles warming up in Florida to a steady trade if that
were true.

However, you do ask for a reference and acknowledge the NIST as a
reputable source (many here ignore this commonplace):
http://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/...constants.html

The link:
http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/units.html
is quite specific to the matter.

One of the supreme ironies comes in the form of the unstated
conditional. In your regard, it is pounds is intimately tied to the
gravitational constant (mass and G). In other regards SWR is
intimately tied to the source Z (always equal to the transmission line
characteristic Z, unless stated otherwise).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC