Old February 2nd 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

Default AIR 11620 kHz; Shortwave in the car

I remember back in the day when listening to AIR on 11620 kHz could be
quite a pain.... You know, back when there was horrendous teletype
interference some 2 or 3 kHz up?

I recently re-installed my Sony XR-4950X car stereo w/shortwave tuner.
I knew that AIR had been putting out a pretty clear afternoon (EST)
signal these days on 11620 kHz (w/a nice 500 kW); but I was quite
surprised to find that I could so clearly pick up the English service
of AIR in the car around 1830 UTC or so. Overall, a very strong signal
and very listenable right there in the car, while driving in moderate
urban traffic. Problem with this Sony car stereo tuner is that the
scan function only stops on the very very very strong stations, and
manual tuning is a pain, since it requires holding the tuning buttons
down and that sorta thing.

junius