Old September 24th 03, 07:22 PM
Gene Nygaard

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 17:23:12 GMT, Richard Clark
wrote:

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 16:45:38 GMT, Gene Nygaard
wrote:

Apparently you are claiming that pounds are not units of mass.

Where did you learn that?

Being the skeptic that I am, how can I convince myself that that is
true? Is there some textbook, or something from some national
standards agency, that would help me verify this?

Gene Nygaard

Hi Gene,

Exactly. Perhaps you should re-consider the simple illustration of
difference that I offered in the post you responded to.

Does the weight you measure on a bathroom scale change from the earth
to the moon because your mass changed too? Jenny Craig would have an
armada of shuttles warming up in Florida to a steady trade if that
were true.

So what happens when you get serious about your weight and go to the
doctors office or the gym and weigh yourself on one of those platform
type beam balances?

Would your pounds be different on the moon? By how much?

However, you do ask for a reference and acknowledge the NIST as a
reputable source (many here ignore this commonplace):
http://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/...constants.html

There is absolutely nothing about pounds on this page. So don't be
bull****ting us.

The link:

is quite specific to the matter.

Not a link directly on the page above; maybe on one of the links
there.

There is absolutely nothing about pounds on this page either. You are
still bull****tiing.

One of the supreme ironies comes in the form of the unstated
conditional. In your regard, it is pounds is intimately tied to the
gravitational constant (mass and G).

They are? I asked you for some citation proving that pounds are not
units of mass. You have not done so.

--
Gene Nygaard
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Gene_Nygaard/