Old February 5th 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
mike

Default "Ultra" portable MW-SW-FM receiver recommendations?

Roger wrote:
I currently own a Radio Shack DX-399 (same model as the Sangean
ATS-606), which is a quite solid, portable LW-MW-SW-FM receiver with
quite good sound quality when delivered to ear buds (FM stereo to
earbuds.)

I mostly use this radio for local MW and FM listening, but will
occasionally listen to SW broadcasts, and DX-MW using a Radio Shack
loop.

I love this radio for its portability, but am looking for another to
put one of them away in a Faraday box for use in case of a major
emergency.

Tell us more about your emergency scenario?
Although it's possible to come up with a situation where there's an EMP
that doesn't get thru your faraday box and doesn't kill you, either
directly or indirectly...
I think you're much more likely to succumb to a dirty bomb or car bomb
or bird flu or be hit by a bus or killed by a jealous spouse or your HMO.
What are the other parts of your survival strategy? Radio doesn't
do much good if you don't have food/water/shelter.

Hmmm, wonder if the radio transmitters are in Faraday Boxes?

So, what other makes/models should I consider? Repeating some of the
above, here's my criteria:

1) The size of the DX-399 or smaller.

2) General coverage MW-SW (up to 30 kHz), and with stereo FM (when fed
to earbuds). Don't need LW.

30kHz is about as long wave as it gets.

3) Good sound quality (especially of FM) when fed to earbuds.

4) As good or better sensitivity than the DX-399 for MW dxing and SW.

5) Don't need SSB, but would be nice.

6) Don't care too much about speaker quality, since I would use it
exclusively with earbuds.

7) Don't care about the other bells and whistles (e.g. alarm), but
some station memory would be nice.

So what are my other options? New and/or used (buyable through eBay)
will be considered.

I kinda like the Sony ICF-SW-100.
Sound quality is awesome for it's size.
Make me an offer.