Old November 28th 04, 04:38 PM
Andy Pritchard

Hi Tony

In summery UI-View's objective is to display and generate APRS data.

Packet radio which is the basis of the protocol was developed some years ago
(circa 1980) and allows amateur radio operators to connect there computers
together using wireless technology (not what we call wireless technology
today).

APRS is a protocol built on top of packet radio which allows you to
communicate data such as GPS positions, weather reports, simple messages
etc...

UI-View is a software application which understands the APRS protocol. This
allows you to see and transmit the information which is communicated using
the APRS protocol. For example you can see what road a car fitted with the
appropriate equipment (GPS, radio and TNC) is travelling down.

Hope that helps.

--

73 - Andy, M0CYP
--

UI-View http://welcome.to/uiview
Propagation http://welcome.to/dxradio

"Tony VE6MVP" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 20:44:31 GMT, "Andy Pritchard"
wrote:

You can register UI-View32 from the following URL
http://www.apritch.myby.co.uk/uiv32.htm

Stupid question. I'm also a new ham.

What is the purpose of that software? I visited that website and it
had lots of technical details. But nowhere did I see a one paragraph
explanation of what problem it's reason for existence.

Tony