Old February 5th 06, 05:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Peter Bennett

Default WWV receiver

On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 19:12:18 -0800, running dogg wrote:

I know that there are several plans on the internet for building a radio
controlled clock. These involve building a fixed frequency rx and then
hooking it up to a clock. How feasible would it be to hook the same
circuit up to an amp and speaker instead of a clock?

I haven't looked at any of these circuits, but I'd expect it to be
quire easy to connect and audio amplifier and speaker to the output of
the detector.

I suspect that the
clock radios listen in on 60khz, but it should be simple to insert a
crystal or change it to get 10Mhz. Also, you could build a radio with
three frequencies-5Mhz, 10Mhz, and 15Mhz in order to take advantage of
day vs night propagation.

Converting a 60 KHz receiver to 10 MHz is likely impossible -
construction techniques and tuned circuits will be quite different -
you can almost use audio techniques and iron-core coils at 60 KHz, but
are well into RF territory at 10 MHz, and will likely have to use
air-core coils in the tuned circuits.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca