Old February 5th 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Joe S.

Default Anti-oxidant grease question

"John Popelish" wrote in message
Joe S. wrote:
(snip)
I have found a source of anti-oxidant grease that's used on electrical
connections and I will put this stuff on the connector-mount junction to
prevent further oxidation. Here's the question: Do I loosen the nut and
put grease between the nut and the antenna mount -- similar to putting
thermal grease between a heat sink and the surface of a transistor -- or,
do I tighten the nut and smear grease on the outside, not on the mating
surfaces? I suspect I should put the grease on the mating surfaces
between the nut and the mount -- loosen the nut, smear on grease, tighten
the nut.

The anytioxidant has to be in intimate contact with the metal surfaces
before they are clamped together. Here is a site that tells how to use
one version, Penetrox-A. The details are about 1/4 of the way down:
http://www.inspect-ny.com/aluminum/alreduce.htm#1A

John:

THANK YOU!!! Exactly what I needed -- I don't know how you found that -- I
spent an hour searching with Google for various combinations of
anti-oxidant, antioxidant, applying, application, etc., etc.

I'll pick up a tube/can/jug/whatever of Penetrox tomorrow at my local
electrical supply house, disassemble both antenna mounts and connectors,
"abrade" them thoroughly, and slap the Penetrox onto every metal-to-metal
junction.

Thanks again.

73,
Joe