Old February 5th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc
Bob Bob

Default callsigns in ham conversations

I am not a listener only, I am one that talks! grin

Despite supposed international conventions about how one says their
callsigns they are often peppered with strange nuances and abnormal
phonetics.

Callsigns are often also rushed or abbreviated if those talking know
each other and talk often. I have found this makes things very
difficult. Of course its easy if you can ask them to slow down!

I find the best way is to record (on a PC) then play it back a few times
to work out what is being said.

It might be worthwhile trying to tackle your noise problem too. Care to
elaborate? Rememeber that the brain is a very effective filter. You just
have to keep at it.

Cheers Bob W5/VK2YQA

weatherall wrote:

Lately I use my Sony ICF SW7600GR for ssb reception. I can clarify the
signal quite well, but the noise level affects the clarity.

Are there any others in this newsgroup that are strictly listeners?
What have your experiences been like?