Old February 6th 06, 02:14 AM
weatherall weatherall is offline
Senior Member

Location: san francisco, ca
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bob
I find the best way is to record (on a PC) then play it back a few times to work out what is being said.

It might be worthwhile trying to tackle your noise problem too. Care to
elaborate? Rememeber that the brain is a very effective filter. You just
have to keep at it.
Thanks for your reply. I have recorded from my shortwave radio before but never thought about recording ham conversations for deciphering. I should do that. Also I should point out that I am referring to voice communications rather than morse code.

During the warmer seasons, I prefer to take my radio outside and listen while walking around. This lets me get far away from interference sources. While indoors, I am getting adequate reception from international broadcasters with some noise. Last night while listening to some ham radio operators, I was able to clearly hear a nearby person (in San Jose) but some others were faint.

I posted a few weeks ago in rec.radio.shortwave asking for some interference reduction advice. I'm on the top floor of an apartment building. There are dimmer switches in my apartment, and I turn them off when listening. I have a DE31 active loop antenna, but it typically doesn't improve the reception vs. the whip on my SW7600GR. My whip antenna is right by my window. Recently I've been placing the whip antenna horizontal, which I've heard can reduce some interference. I always run my radios with rechargeable NiMH batteries.

I've only been involved in shortwave radio for several months, so I'd be glad to hear any additional advice regarding interference.

thanks!
weatherall :: http://cobaltpet.blogspot.com/