Old February 6th 06, 03:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
running dogg

Default Degen/Kaito 1103 (where to get?) (was: "Ultra" portable MW-SW-FM...)

David wrote:

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 19:19:28 GMT, Roger
wrote:

David wrote:
Roger wrote:

Now, as I look things over, I'm getting more and more intrigued
with purchasing a Degen/Kaito 1103 portable.

So, where can I find this model at the lowest price? Also, should I
stick with a Kaito (for the American market), or can I consider a
Degen? (I heard the walwart with the Degen is not for U.S.
voltages.)

I think your money would be better spent on some psychotherapy.

*laugh*

Well, David recommended I look at the Sangean PT-80 ProTravel, so I
assume his comment about me needing psychotherapy is because I did not
take his recommendation.

David (and others), how does the PT-80 compare to the Degen/Kaito 1103
with respect to MW and SW reception performance?

I save quite a chunk of change going with the 1103, plus the 1103 is
a little smaller and lighter. Also, my research indicates the 1103's
performance in several important categories appears to be better than
the PT-80. To me, it seems like a no-brainer.

Comments?

Thanks.

Roger

What do you plan on listening to after Cheney detonates his bomb?
Anything left on the air will most likely be disinformation.

Will everything everywhere be wiped out by the bomb? Will all
transmitters be wiped out? I figure that Europe will be spared, and thus
I can listen to the BBC. EMP covers a narrowly defined area. You can't
get it to cover whole continents unless you send it REALLY high up in
the atmosphere. The only rogue state with ICBMs is North Korea, and if
Kim would launch anything, he'd launch an actual bomb instead of an EMP
device. Of course, the USA could send up an EMP device over Iraq, but
they already have ways to counter cell phone triggered IEDs (now the
insurgents run wires).