Old February 6th 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

Default Degen/Kaito 1103 (where to get?) (was: "Ultra" portable MW-SW-FM...)

Roger wrote:
I thank everyone for replying to my inquiry about the best small
portable MW-SW-FM radio meeting my list of specs.

With regards to the various "Faraday Cage" comments, I'll not reply to
them in any substantive way since that is off-topic here (want to
focus on "radios"), but for those interested, just do a Google search
on "EMP Faraday," and several informative articles will result.

Now, as I look things over, I'm getting more and more intrigued with
purchasing a Degen/Kaito 1103 portable.

So, where can I find this model at the lowest price? Also, should I
stick with a Kaito (for the American market), or can I consider a
Degen? (I heard the walwart with the Degen is not for U.S. voltages.)

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Thanks!

Roger

On Ebay you will get the best price for a Degen DE 1103. The Kaito
badged DE 1103 can be had in the U.S. for about $30.00 more.

Rather than trying to use the built-in wall wart charger I opted to
rotate two sets of NIMH batteries and a separate charger. The
built-in set-up for charging was not well designed because you have to
set the number of hours for charging - no auto sensing circuit on
either model. Leaving a portable hooked up for 12 hours seemed to
defeat it's purpose as a portable.