Old February 6th 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc
Caveat Lector

Default callsigns in ham conversations

Three times to listen for a Ham callsign
At the beginning of a contact
Hams must Identify every 10 minutes
Hams must give their callsign when signing off

Once you have the callsign - go to QRZ.com URL:
http://www.qrz.com/
Enter callsign and in the results look for their e-mail address
It's given in jpeg to avoid the spiders from harvesting - so write it down
and compose a new e-mail

Handy to have a pencil and scratch pad ready -- you may only get part of the
call
Keep listening to fill in the rest

In case the Ham jargon is jibberish -- see AMATEUR RADIO GLOSSARY
JARGON, ABBREVIATIONS AND TERMINOLOGY

At URL:
http://ac6v.com/jargon.htm

Good luck es 73

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

"weatherall" wrote in message

Sometimes I listen to ham radio conversations and take notes on what is
being discussed. (Most of my HF listening is of international
shortwave broadcasts.)Two recent conversations I've heard have been
about shipping companies (fedex, ups, dhl, etc).

Hams often mention their callsigns, but I unfortunately don't hear them
clearly enough. The main reason I'm interested in callsigns is if I
hear someone say something interesting, and I want to look for their
email address to write to them about it.

Lately I use my Sony ICF SW7600GR for ssb reception. I can clarify the
signal quite well, but the noise level affects the clarity.

Are there any others in this newsgroup that are strictly listeners?
What have your experiences been like?

--
weatherall