Old February 7th 06, 03:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default LF Engineering H-800 antenna

I know two people with Wellbrook loops indoors. They work, but look
goofy of course. In a home office or radio room, who cares if it looks
odd. You need to rig up some support. I use a cement patio umbrella
stand that uses ordinary PVC. OSH sells them. I'm not really sure being
near the window helps since you are receiving a sky wave, not a signal
beamed along the horizon.

I agree that antennas out in the open work best, but HF is not a line
of sight reception. Height doesn't make right for HF, at least not for
a loop. [Beams would be a different story.] . Of course, outdoors means
it won't be close to your noise sources.

I had something kind of odd happen today with my Wellbrook. The
strongest BCB station I can receive is on 680. It is so strong that my
7030 kicks in the attenuator. Even with the atennuator, it reads about
S+40. Anyway, today, the 3rd harmonic of the station, 2040, showed up
in the shortwave band. If I hadn't use the same gear before, I would
have blamed the amp (ALA100) or the radio. The harmonic signal was in
the mud, maybe S4, but clear enough to hear the station ID.

MojaveDxer wrote:
So would a Wellbrook 330 or 1530 placed in a window frame be better
than the AOR models. To place a unit outside is not a option for me.