Old February 7th 06, 08:40 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default LF Engineering H-800 antenna

OK, that makes more sense Those active whips are good for quick and
dirty portable use, but a magnetic loop is like magic.

I'd be curious what they use for an amp, since a single fet is par for
the course in that product. Those active whips are real high margin
products.

The Wellbrook is another story. I think they use a high bandwidth
transformer, which is how they float the antenna above ground. North
Hills makes those transformers, but they aren't cheap. When the dust
settled, I figured buying the Wellbrook made more sense than trying to
duplicate one. You can do a differential amp to avoid the transformer,
but that increases the noise.

wrote:
Oh, by the way, I didn't mean to suggest that the H-800 is quieter than
the loop. It's not. But it is exceptionally quiet in my experience.