Old February 7th 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Smokey

Default Boatanchors and estates: Ideas?

Thanks Colin. As is so often the case, your comments make more sense than
most on this newsgroup. I should have figured that I could expect vacuous
suggestions ("Did you ever think of donating to a radio club? Duh") and
sarcasm not to mention the tedious stand-uyp comics (who should keep their
day jobs). Jeeesh...I am NOT giving the stuff away now (hopefully I've got a
lot of years left).. Nor am I interested in walking away with any money from
it. Nor am I interested in one entity getting it all. I just am interested
in the stuff being received by someone who will appreciate it. As for those
vultures who fly around widows trying to peck them clean, I am all too aware
of that situation. We as hams don't have very clean hands in that respect.
We've all seen it.My whole reason for putting this posting out is to plan
for something instead of my executor landfilling my good stuff. I think I am
going to go about this another way because, other than your comments, most
others were worthless.

Smokey

"COLIN LAMB" wrote in message
nk.net...
Find a younger ham that will take control of all the equipment and

liquidate
it when the time comes. I have been doing that for years. I sell the

stuff
at hamfests or eBay and do not even charge a commission. I keep what does
not sell .

A funny true story happened to me. A few years ago I got a call from a
friend's wife. He was elderly and over a few months he had been going to
lunch and never making it, ending up in nearby towns. At one point he was
almost vegetative. His Dr's diagnosed him as Alzheimers and told his wife
he would never recover. She called me and asked that I liquidate a

building
full of old radio and test equipment.

I went to work and sold some to friends, some on eBay and some at a local
swap meet. I just collected the funds until after the swap meet. There
were a few things that did not sell at the swap meet, so I figured I was
done selling. I called the woman to report my success and she said "just

minute, here is Henry". There was my friend on the other end of the
telephone, home and alert. My heart sank. I had to report that I had

sold
his entire collection of stuff. It was the lowest point of my life. I

felt
like I had drained the blood from him. But, the rest of the story made

for
an ok ending. After I told him I had sold all of his equipment, he told

me
that even though he was home, he was not up to enjoying it and he never
would be, so that it was still fine that I had liquidated his stuff.
However, he said there were two things he wished he still had and those

were
two of the three items I could not sell. He was delighted and I felt like
the luckiest guy alive.

He died about a year later, but we already had liquidated his gear.

Colin K7FM