Old February 6th 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Mark Zenier

Default What's underneath BBC 5975kHz @ 0257UTC?

In article ,
running dogg wrote:
Mark Zenier wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:
Tonight (3-Feb-2006) I heard chimes underneath the BBC on 5975 kHz,
like a different (weaker) station was on the same frequency. Didn't
recognize the theme but it sounded vaguely carribean (maybe steel drums
and not chimes, it was the same note repeated three times and then a
step up, repeat.) Any idea what it was?

Is there (on the net maybe) a catalog of the themes that SW
broadcasters use before their broadcasts?

Tong Tong Ting. Tong Tong Ting?

That's the VOA transmitter in Delano, California targeted at Central
America stepping on the tail of the Montsinery (French Guiana?)
transmitter targeted at the Caribean.

Up here in Seattle, it stomps the hell out of 5975 for the last 5-7
minutes of the 02:00 hour, when they warm the transmitter up and then
send the tones. Montsinery has been S9 and Delano us usually 10 dB
stronger. Right off the back of the beam, I guess.

And then at 04:00, 5975 shifts over to Radio Netherlands in Dutch
(from Bonaire, I think) in parallel with 6165.

Mark Zenier

Isn't that the VOA broadcast in Spanish to Central America on 5995? I
still think that the main point of the Delano bc is to wipe out the
Cubans on 6000 (which used to be an excellent freq for NAm listening)
thus forcing anybody who wants to listen to Havana to use 9820. But
wiping out a signal 20khz away is HUGE overkill.

They're both there at the same time. I think 5995 is stronger.
(BBC in Spanish?).

Mark Zenier