Old February 8th 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dan Andersson

Default Antenna analyzer- no MW?

chris wrote:

I've been thinking about springing for an MFJ (or other) antenna
analyzer
to check on the myriad antenna's I've got around the place.
I noticed that most of the analyzers on the market (like the MFJ-269,
for ~$350.00)
only go down to 1.8 MHz. I do a lot of work with xtal radio's
(DX'ing), and have a lot of different AM (MW) antenna's strewn about
the property. I was wondering why they cut that portion out of their
instrument? No demand? Too exotic?
Does anyone know if the analyzer could be modified (add some
inductance, etc. somewhere) to bring it down to about 500kc? Thanks!
Chris, AI4MI

Don't panic!

There is an Italian analyzer, 0-60MHz for about 150€ ( 180 US $ ) which is
based on the AD9851 from analog devices.

You need a computer so it's not a handheld.

It's a "half VNA", giving +/- 90 degrees phase info but that is normally not
a problem as it's easy to find out the sign anyway.

A new version is coming soon and covers 0.1 Hz to 160 MHz. I think I saw a
price of 240€ on that one.

The TenTec TAPR VNA, 0-100 MHz is a "real" VNA with full quadrature 360
degree phase info.

However, you do still need a computer.

Cheers

Dan / M0DFI