Old February 8th 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc
lkokot

Default SWR VS Power Output

I have noticed a strange phenomenon when tuning up on different bands. On
40 meters, using a nearly resonant dipole, the SWR drops as I increase power
and the tuner responds much better, i.e. tunes out all the reactance. On 15
meters, using a nearly resonant dipole, the opposite occurs. At low power,
SWR is well behaved, and it is easy to get a match using the tuner. As you
increase power past a certain point, about 30-40 watts, SWR shoots up, and
the best the tuner can do is about 1.5 to 1. or so. I am using #18 guage
insulated wire for the 15 meter dipole and #14 guage bare wire for the 40
meter dipole. My feedline in both cases is 50 feet RG-8X, a .25 inch d. low
loss (@2 db/100 ft at 30 MHZ) coax to a coax balun at the antenna feedpoint.

Thank you, and 73

Lee
KI6AZS