Old July 16th 03, 03:45 PM
A Ham Elmer

Default What's All Dose Numbers Hams Use

Someone asked:

I hear Hams exchanging numbers -- what do they mean?

During a contest, Hams exchange a combined signal report and a number - like
5906 -- the 59 is a signal strength and readability number URL:
http://www.cebik.com/rst.html For CW its like 599 last nine is for tone.
The 06 is a ITU or CQ zone number.
Zone Numbers (CQ and ITU): http://www.cq-amateur-radio.com/wazrules.html
and http://www.rsgb-hfc.org.uk/wituz.htm
Exchange varies with the contest -- see URL:
http://home.online.no/~janalme/hammain.html See rules

Serial number reports like 59876 -- the 876 is the 876th contact made.

Contests sponsored by 10/10 International use a 10/10 number like 18099 -

For 6M Dxing/Contesting and now some HFing -- folks pass around Grid Square
Numbers. I get a lot of JA cards (HF QSO's) wanting grid squares.
Example FM16tj. Usually only the FM16 is used in the exchange.
So where is FM16 ? Maps and info following will help. (It's Elizabeth City,
NC)

What are they -- see URL: http://www.arrl.org/locate/gridinfo.html

QRZ and Buckmaster will reveal your grid square -- not precise for the last
two letters but usually close enough. On QRZ look up your call, then see
Detailed Info for your GS.

For precision get a GPS reading, then use the AMSAT converter --
http://www.amsat.org/amsat/toys/gridconv.html

DX Atlas has a nice grid square locator -- displays a typed in grid number
on the maps.
http://www.dxatlas.com/

Artsci has Repeater MapBook 10th edition & Repeater Directory
With GRID SQUARES on every U.S. Map! http://www.artscipub.com/mapbook/

ICOM Site Has a grid Map at URL:
http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/index.html
Click on AMATEUR, then U.S. Grid Square Map (470 KB PDF)

Another At http://www.amt.org/Multimedia/images/grid-na.gif

Another at URL: http://pages.infinit.net/ve2pij/gridqra.html

And the ARRL offers the VUCC Award based on grid squares -- see URL:
http://www.arrl.org/awards/#vucc

Passin The Good Numbers -- 73
Anon to keep Jim from Spamming and Harrassing me ! Jamesx that is.