Old July 18th 03, 10:07 PM
Jackie

wrote in message

I wish I was moving to a place where I could have a loop. Seems so easy and
yet, they work great.

I've never worked 5W--still on my "makes me drool!" list. :-)

I was lucky that night-- I wasn't even aware they were on the air-- and I
was just tuning around on 17 meters (one of my fave bands) and came across
them. I wasn't sure where 5W was, so when I looked 'em up, bang! I leapt
into the pile-up and put out my call a few times, and they came back to me
with a 5/5 report. I worked T2YL on 17 meters as well. I really like that
band. It's not as crowded as 20. I made a dipole just for 17 meters. I wish
I didn't have to take it down, but someday I'll put 'er back up again, when
I get my own house.

There have been lots of articles in the magazines about
stealth antennas; you might find some in the ARRL's website,
or by buying a stack of back QSTs at a hamfest. There are
*lots* of possibilities, if you don't mind experimenting!

There are sure lots of 'em... seems like everyone I've talked to who's ever
had to use a 'stealth' antenna has their own theories about what works best.
I guess any antenna is better than none. I have considered some indoor
antennas, but really want to get one outside. I do have a balcony and should
be able to at least put a portable HF antenna on it.

Have you read W9KNI's book, _The Complete DXer_?
There's a new edition (3rd) out and it's FULL of exceedingly
helpful (IMO) thoughts, advice, tips.

Have not read it yet, but I plan on ordering it soon. I see it's in print
again now. Friends have told me, if you're a DXer, get this book... so I
will!

73,

Jackie