Old February 8th 06, 03:58 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bob

Default Odd identifier heard on 416.23KHz LSB ?

Interesting thing about this particular beacon's modulation. It appears
to be VIN with a peculiar dit-dit jammed right in front of the interval,
but this is not the case. It's an AM carrier with the upper sideband
only. This causes you to hear on 416.23KHz in LSB:

di di di dah, di dit, dah dit, di di dahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
(VIN nor VINI can't be found anywhere in anyone's LF logs)

but in USB on 416.00 you hear:

dah di di dit, dah di dah, di dah di dit

which is listed as BKL, 416KHz, Cleveland, less than 200 miles away.
(this makes a lot of sense!)

One less mystery for the books.

Buzzygirl wrote:
In other words:

dit dit dit dah dit dit dah dit dit dit dahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Anyone able to help ID this one?

Where are you located, and when did you hear the identifier? I'm wondering
if the identifier is correct-- it seems like "VIN" from what you describe,
but I can't find anything close to that near that frequency.

Jackie