Old February 8th 06, 05:41 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Odd identifier heard on 416.23KHz LSB ?

I have a few tips. One might be to run ARGO
http://www.weaksignals.com/
This program help to see the Morse code though all the noise.

Second, if you have a CW filter, you can try to tune off the carrier,
i.e. where the Morse sideband is heard, around +/- 800 hz. If you have
pass band tuning, this is easier as you just tune to the carrier, then
shift the passband +/- 800 hz for US beacon, or 400Hz for Canadian
beacons.

If you run ARGO, don't use the CW filter. I've found the display to be
clearer just using a 2khz filter.

The long "dahhhhh" is Canadian.

An "undocumented" beacon just south of your beacon is at 414Khz, PYD,
somewhere on the Nevada Test Site or maybe Area 51. It's one of a few
beacons not documented. The others are 278, XSD, at the Tonopah Test
Range, and 209KHz at Basecamp.

Bob wrote:
I've been doing a lot of beacon hunting the last few nights and I've
found an identifier that I cannot seem to lookup anywhere.

The beacon IDs VIN but the interval carrier is prefixed with two dits
before the long tone. It sounds like VINI but there's no pause or any
appreciable space between the two dits that come before the long
interval carrier tone.

In other words:

dit dit dit dah dit dit dah dit dit dit dahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Anyone able to help ID this one?

Thanks!
B.