Old February 9th 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Doug Smith W9WI

Default 3Y0X

Spent a bit of time on them on 30 and 40 last night without success.
They seemed to be having some trouble pulling people out of the mess on
30 - it could be as much as 2 minutes between QSOs. (I suppose it could
be they were distracted by non-radio support activities at this point in
the expedition!)

On 40, unfortunately the lids were out in full force.

Ironically, the ones intentionally trying to interfere with the 3Y
operation were essentially ineffective. It was never difficult to know
what the 3Y was sending.

It was the lids who *didn't* have malicious intent who were causing the
most grief - the continuous callers who made it nearly impossible to
find the station the 3Y was working.

I did work FO/DL1AWI on 80. If they aren't in French Polynesia (haven't
looked 'em up yet) then they're a new one on that band. He'd been
working on 3506.5; he vanished, then popped back up calling CQ on 3508 -
I worked him on the first call out of the CQ. Sometimes you luck outgrin!

Couldn't say, I wasn't on then, nor for any of the Heard expeditions
. May never get that one.

Ouch.

I have worked Heard twice (sorryg) but there's never been much signal
there.

But the most interesting thing about DX in the new millenium is how
dynamic the Most Wanted lists have become. Who'd have thought: KP1 &
KP5 becoming nearly impossible, while you can work ZA and BY during any
contest?
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66