Old February 9th 06, 05:15 PM posted to alt.ham-radio,rec.radio.scanner
Al Klein

Default ISS IS REPEATING SUITSAT SIGNALS on 437.800

On 09 Feb 2006 12:31:14 GMT, "Homer.Simpson"
wrote:

Any additional chances if I scan at 145.990 WFM (not NFM)

Depends on your definitions. 75 KHz vs. 5 KHz, or 5 KHz vs 2.5 KHz?

If the former, you'll lose too much effective sensitivity with WFM. If
the latter, the signals are 5 KHz, so that's where you should be.

The only option to changing frequency to allow for Doppler is to have
a receiver with really good, wide AFC - which you aren't going to get
for 3 digits of money.

I've been recording overflights and so far haven't heard anything
with my Pro-2067 and a 30' high discone on my chimney.

(75' of RG6)

That's about -2dbd gain with a fairly insensitive receiver, while you
need about 10dbd gain with a sensitive receiver, so you're about 18db
below where you need to be to receive a noisy, in-and-out signal. 18
db - that's nearly 100 times more gain that you need, or looking at it
the other way, the signal's probably below the noise long before it
even gets to your cable.

I tried hearing the signal with a turnstile (which is plenty good
enough for weather satellite work) and a fairly good receiver.
Nothing. That's about 8-10 db better than a discone and a RS scanner.
The ISS is a LOT easier to receive - much more signal - so try for
that first.