Old February 9th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

Default What's underneath BBC 5975kHz @ 0257UTC?

Mark Zenier wrote:

In article ,
dxAce wrote:
Now I gotta figure out why I hear number stations underneath several of
the Okochobee broadcasts!
(That's not an easy feat, they are almost local.)

Maybe Family Radio is taking in a bit of CIA money on the side. ;-)

Back about 15 years ago, there was some strange close-in QRM to some of
the stronger BBC signals in the 6 MHz band. In this case it was RTTY,
and even stranger the signal went away when I bitched about it on the
shortwave alt.*? group we used back then.

I always wondered if putting your spy communications close to a widely
received broadcast would be good cover. They couldn't take the spy out
and shoot them for just listening to the Beeb.

If it is the Beeb then it is probably the Morse signal "V" (...-) (V for
Victory) played on a Timpani. Still used as far as I know for some language
services but not heard all that often.

No, this was a seperate FSK signal. One interesting effect was when they
tuned it to straddle the carrier of the audio broadcast.

Oh come on... I was referring to the original post which indicated hearing a
chime or something similar.

dxAce
Michigan
USA