Old February 10th 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Default folded dipole

Richard Harrison wrote:
The folded dipole is also resonant when
it has two wires and it is only 1/4-wave long. It is resonant because
its circumference is then 1/2 wavelength.
The feedpoint resistance of the resonant 1/4-wave long center-fed folded
dipole made from the same diameter wire all the way around is 6000 ohms.

Richard, that doesn't make sense to me. Such an antenna could be fed
with 1/4WL of 600 ohm open-wire line and achieve an impedance of 60
ohms looking into the matching section. That's just too good to be true.

I just ran an 80m folded dipole on 160m using EZNEC. It says the
feedpoint impedance is 32+j1900 ohms. That's a long way from
resonance and 6000 ohms.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp