Old February 9th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default LF Engineering H-800 Antenna - Again

It is reallyhard to get high bandwidth with ferrite based loops. But
they are compact.

The Wellbrook gets you wide bandwidth, but you really need at least a
meter in diameter for the wellbrook to shine.

Mark S. Holden wrote:
DeWayne wrote:
I live in a townhouse. My best antenna is my rain gutter. I was not familiar
with the H-800 until the recent thread. My location is somewhat noisy. Is it
reasonable to assume that I would be able to find a fairly quiet location
inside my home for the H-800 since it is so compact and could easily be
moved around my home to find a possible quiet location? I would like to try
one on my Icom R75 but the antenna is not cheap. I don't think dealers
normally accept returns on antennas.

The advantages of an H800 over a garden variety active whip seem to be a
cleaner amplifier and extra dynamic range. But it'll still do a
beautiful job of picking up a nearby lamp dimmer.

I think you could predict if it'll work for you with any active whip you
might have or care to cobble together with $5 of parts from Radio Shaft.
A portable mw radio tuned to a dead spot on the dial might also let
you sniff for a quiet zone.

If you do get an H800, spring for the extra $20 for bnc connectors on
the antenna end so you can replace the coax when it dies.

Someone else suggested the Quantum loop. I use one at my office with an
HRB HW1390A receiver for MW reception. (it's a challenging location) I
don't think the Quantum is rated for much beyond 2mhz. But if you want
MW, the Quantum is a good choice.