Old February 10th 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Owen Duffy

Default Coax Connector Question

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:09:28 -0500, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hello:

Dumb question, I know, but just can't find a good pix and callout on the
web. Some of the ones I did find don't even agree.

For a length of coax with a connector on each end:

The Male UHF is PL-259 let's say.

But on the other end, for a Female of the same connector type/series, is it
called a:

PL-258 ?
or just a PL259 Female ?
or... ?

What's the correct designation for the Female ?

IIRC, PL-259 was a part number specific to a (so called) UHF male
connector (plug) for RG8 size coax and with a particular braid anchor
scheme. More recently, the term seems to be used to describe any UHF
male connector for any sized cable.

S0-239 was the part number for a specific panel mounting UHF female
connector (socket) with a solder pin for centre conductor connection.
Again, the term seems commonly adapted to any female UHF connector.

Perhaps the better generic terms are UHF Male and UHF Female, but it
seems people like the more technical sounding PL-259 etc. When we talk
of BNC series connectors or N type connectors, we don't usually use a
specific part number as the designator for the whole series... but
that seems the common practice for UHF connectors.

Owen