Old July 17th 03, 11:56 PM
Dilon Earl

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 17:12:33 GMT, Richard Clark
wrote:

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 17:00:55 GMT, Dilon Earl
wrote:
If I have a 100 watt transmitter and my wattmeter shows 3 watts
reflected. Is 3 watts actually being dissipated in the tank and final
PA?

Hi Dilon,

Does it become 3 watts hotter under the same drive conditions without
the reflected power? You would be surprised how few pundits actually
discuss this in these terms. Of course everyone would be surprised if
anyone attempted to perform this chore.

I like to include this jab at those who rave on about the
impossibility of knowing the internal resistance of a transmitter and
are satisfied to squeak out 100W RF for 250W DC in.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Richard;
I'm not sure if it does get 3 watts hotter. I was always under
the impression that operating a transmitter with a high reflected
power was unhealthy for my PA.