Old February 11th 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
running dogg

Default voice of korea recording 6285Khz

SeeingEyeDog wrote:

"running dogg" wrote
Why the North Koreans are broadcasting English to
Central America in the middle of the night is anyone's guess.
I believe that NK has a tx to NAm at 1500 UTC.
Apparently all the happy workers are up bright and early in the worker's
paradise for the greater glory of Kim Jong Il. hehe

Their transmit schedule is probably dependant upon when power use by their
masses are at a low.

I suspect you're partially right. On maps that show world electricity
use, NK is completely dark. I suspect that power is turned on for only a
few hours in the evening. The bc times mentioned are all in the
evening-up to about 1am-NK time. When the power is off to the proles,
the power is likely off to the government too. So NK can only broadcast
on shortwave when the power is on, which is in the evening local time. A
side note: when electricity was first introduced to America, it only was
generated in the evening, as it was concieved as a way to light houses
and nothing more. It took some convincing to turn the juice on 24/7. I
suspect that electricity is in very short supply in NK, so they're doing
the natural thing-just using it for lighting when people need it most.