Old February 11th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
J. Mc Laughlin

Default 3Y0X

Dear Doug: Interesting observations.

The intentional interference has been frequent and often effective - if that
is the right word. On various of their frequencies, the use of a continuous
carrier that is within 2 Hz of 3Y0X's frequency is heard. It appears not to
be from NA or SA. It would be interesting, though little more, to hear a
psychologist's analysis of what causes persons deliberately to cause
interference.

Miraculously, I heard 3Y0X on 8o meters CW last night and appear to have
worked them. I have gone over the propagation predictions again that
suggest the unlikelihood of such a contact. I will wait for the geophysical
parameters to be posed and look again. However, my guess is it was a
combination of about 100 Hz effective BW, exceptionally low noise at both
ends, a vertical reflecting off of salt water at their end, a tall antenna
at this end, and (most important of all) the use of CW. I also heard them
very weakly on 24900 about Noon.

The place with the worst propagation path from here is VU4.

Guys at Peter I have shown how to do it. Only criticism I have is that
they could profit from providing us with some idea of how long they will
work only (fill in the blank). To say EU for one hour and then Region 2
for an hour and then Region 3 for half an hour - or some such - would
benefit many.

73 Mac N8TT

--
J. Mc Laughlin; Michigan U.S.A.
Home:
"Doug Smith W9WI" wrote in message
J. Mc Laughlin wrote:
The QRM on 40 CW was significant. A continuous carrier exactly on

frequency
that was not too strong, but fatiguing. A very strong carrier that

would
pop on at random. The latter caused me not to be sure of a contact at

about
0200. I admit coming back two or three hours latter for a certain

contact -
well, I never did hear the 3Y's call sign ...

I can not make sense out of the calling when 3Y was working. It

could
be that many who do not work CW or do not have break-in called for a few
minutes and then listened to see if 3Y was waiting for them. Sure

filled up
the band.

I tried for a few minutes on 40 last night but because of the continuous
callers I couldn't figure out where he was listening - and with the
pileup at least 20KHz wide I sure didn't think blind calling was
worthwhile. (OTOH, it's pretty cold here this week & I could have used
the added heat from the ampgrin!) (yikes, you think maybe *THAT'S*
why people who can't copy the 3Y are calling him??g)

The intentional QRM was certainly a lot worse last night than it was
previously. I shudder to think what it sounds like on SSB.

The online log search is working this morning -- hopefully that means
the weather lifted & allowed the delivery of the rest of the supplies.
I suppose those on the island would consider the arrival of the rest of
their food to be the most important part of that news, but I suppose the
rest of us would consider the iminent arrival of the rest of their
simultaneous stations to be more importantgrin!

I've found in the past... that a major DXpedition is a good time to
find *other* good DX -- while all the big guns are busy with the 3Y,
some other stuff like FO/m goes begging...
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Ham stuff for sale: