Old February 12th 06, 05:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Frank Dresser

Default "Non-breakable" RCA radio ad ~1950s

"running dogg" wrote in message

I have a Zenith 500 series transistor radio (500E, I think) that says
"unbreakable nylon" on the back. Of course, it has a crack. Hey, isn't
nylon what pantyhose is made out of? I guess if you squash together
10,000 Leggs, you get a transistor radio case.

That was the same era in which vinyl LPs were also labeled as "unbreakable".
In comparision with the shellac 78s, the term wasn't such a stretch.
Similarly, other manufacturer's plastic radios at the time were either
balkelite or fragile polystyrene. Tougher hard plastics such as ABS didn't
come around until the 60s.

Zenith made some high quality portables. Here's a link:

http://www.transistor-repairs.com/ze...orhistory.html

This is from: