Old February 12th 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Doug Smith W9WI

Default 3Y0X

Win wrote:
Well, I have to say, Doug, that's hardly surprising when the
DXpedition is listening in a QSX band 25 kHz wide! In fact, their SSB
station was announcing that it was "listening 7205 to 7250". What
chance does that give to other band users?

73 de G3NYY

It's no different than when the contesters take over the bands, Walt.
And, it doesn't happen nearly as often. The 3y0 is one of the bigger
fish in DX circles. It's not every day that 2000,000 hams are on the
air.

'Course the contest activity also reflects the desires of the majority
of those who are on at the time...

Neither the contesters as a group, nor the DXers as a group, are guilty
of anything here. The guilt lies with those unable to behave decently
while participating in either pursuit.

(I would suggest that the wide spread of the QSX band would not be a
problem if the callers would actually *LISTEN* before picking a TX
frequency; indeed, a wider QSX band would *reduce* the chances someone
would feel the need to transmit near, or atop, an existing QSO.

It also increases the chances of a lower-powered station finding a hole
in the QSX band and actually being heard.)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Ham stuff for sale: