Old February 12th 06, 08:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

Default voice of korea recording 6285Khz

In article 72lHf.228$g9.200@trndny07, HFguy
wrote:

running dogg wrote:
wrote:

VOK is certainly not in the league of Radio Australia or New Zealand.
However, those signals may be beamed to North America.

Key difference: North America is not the TARGET AREA of Oz/NZ
broadcasts. They target Asia and the South Pacific. The nature of SW is
such that they can be heard in NAm, but the target area is far south of
LA.

It's been about twenty years since Radio Australia stopped registering
frequencies and time periods for North America with the ITU. They
decided to concentrate their resources on listeners in the Pacific and
Asia where Australia has more influence. I remember when their
registration of 9580-Khz for the time period 1100-1300 UTC for North
America expired. The next day the VOA started using that frequency in
the same time period, which made it impossible to hear RA. The VOA
wasn't violating any regulations because the frequency was no longer
registered by RA for North America. They changed it to the South
Pacific. I talked to someone in the frequency department at the VOA that
first morning when the problem started. They weren't aware that RA was
still using 9580-Khz because it was no longer shown in the ITU schedule
for NA. As it turned out, the VOA moved to 9590 the day after I talked
to them, apparently as a gesture of good will to RA. According to ITU
regulations at the time, the VOA didn't have to do it.

Good work. Thanks for taking action.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California