Old February 13th 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roy Lewallen

Default For Roy Lewallen et al: Re Older Post On My db Question

Robert11 wrote:
Hi Roy,

Thanks for reply re my older post on db question. Very clear explanations
by all.
Will put this as a new thread, though.

New at this, and relize I'm not thinking about this the correct way,
probably.

Relative to a receiving antenna's signal: what does the receiver actually
respond to; power or voltage at its input ?

The short answer is power. You can't have one without the other, but you
can choose to have various voltages for the same amount of power. A
receiver has a fixed source impedance, and this determines the fixed
relationship between power and voltage at its input. You can transform
the impedance with various passive circuits, resulting in various other
impedances with correspondingly different voltages. But this won't
change the amount of power available from the antenna.

I'm avoiding discussion of the effects of impedance matching in order to
keep the answer brief and hopefully clear.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL