Old February 14th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Fred McKenzie

Default Kenwood TS-480sat Antenna Tuner Query

In article .com,
"Dom1127" wrote:

I am looking at purchasing one of these radio. I would like to use it
in the car and I am wondering what the lowest frequency I can tune into
on a mobile antenna. I wouldn't want to go to much bigger than a 7-9
foot whip.

Also, is there any radio which will tune below 7mhz on a 7-9ft (or
smaller) whip? I know Codan make an antenna tuner that will do it.

Dom-

My TS-480SAT can tune the 40 Meter phone band, but only 1/2 to 2/3 of the
75 Meter phone band using the appropriate Hustler resonator and mast.

You are asking too much of a built-in tuner. The specs of built-in tuners
usally say the antenna must have an SWR of 3:1 maximum. Because of
component values, they may match a wider range on the higher bands, but
not on 75 and 40 Meters.

To do what you want, you should consider N6OJN's suggestion, or look at
one of the separate tuners that companies like Kenwood and Icom have for
their respective equipment. MFJ, LDG and SGC also make external auto
tuners.

73, Fred, K4DII