Old February 15th 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc
Dick

Default APRS settings for long-distance train trip?

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 01:32:22 GMT, Tony VE6MVP
wrote:

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 22:03:01 -0700, Dick LeadWinger wrote:

t's OK in a city, but when you get out in the sticks you
need POWER, and the TH-D7 isn't going to give it to you. Sometimes
even my D700A with external gain antenna won't reach a gateway. I
have stood in my front yard with my TH-D7, looking directly at the
mountain where the repeater is located, and been unable to connect
without moving around to different locations. Give it a try, but you
may be disappointed.

The problem in your particular place might be that the mountain top
digipeater is hearing so many systems from so many places that yours
just isn't making it through. Especially if it can see other mountain
top digipeaters.

That said I would think Greg would be far better off if he could put
mag mount antenna on the top of the train. chuckle

Tony

That might be the case, but we are in a pretty remote area. There is
no question though, that a power increase takes care of the problem.
My experience with the D7 includes a lot of travel in the west
(Arizona, Utah, Nevada) The ability to connect with a digipeater was
few and far between with the D7. Going to the D700 makes all the
difference.

Dick