Old February 15th 06, 01:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Chuck Harris

Default scr522-bc624

Andrew VK3BFA wrote:

G'day Chuck.

There was no intention of US bashing or of there being something evil in
my story. John (see above) stated the situation better than I and I
agree with his sentiments.

Lionel L Sharp, VK4NS

For more details, check out www.aafradio.org - the Americans could not
communicate with t-he British who were using VHF in their aircraft, so
the SCR522 was a "copy" of the British design until the Americans could
do the necessary R & D. No slight on our American friends intended -
stop being so paranoid! - when we do want to insult you, you will be
left in no doubt hi hi

Andrew VK3BFA.

Hi Lionel, Andrew, etal,

I am sorry for over reacting.

My first 2M rig was a decidedly breadboard contraption that used a
6J6 as a push-pull oscillator, and had a modified phonograph audio
output stage as the modulator. It had no xtal, and drifted so badly
that I could never be sure where I would end up. I ditched that
mess, and used a borrowed ARC-1 in its original 28V dynamotor condition.
The ARC-1 was pure pleasure to operate. It sounded nice (inspite of
its carbon microphone), and could change channels at a whim.

A lot of folks swapped 829's in for 832's in some of the vhf rigs, but
the ARC-1 was too compact for that treatment. The 829 was a fair bit
taller, and would run into the top of the bakelite socket assembly
the ARC-1 used.

-Chuck