Old September 26th 03, 12:11 AM

Gene Nygaard wrote:

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:58:11 GMT, Richard Clark
wrote:

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 06:45:29 -0400, wrote:

Let's just all go metric. The only really confusing measure
there seems to be the definition of the litre.

...Keith

Hi Keith,

You mean liter? ;-)

It has to be litre so that it can rhyme with metre.

Up there in the Great White North, they use those dinky little
"litres" where it takes 4.54609 of them to make a gallon, rather than
the man-sized liters we have, which only take 3.785411784 to make a
gallon. ;-)

Unless, of course, you are talking about blueberries, where we use an
inbetween liter where it takes 4.40488377086 liters to make a gallon
(which we actually don't use much under that name any more, though we
do still use its quart and pint subdivisions).

We also have the Texas sized foot of 12.789 inches (legal for
surveying only in Quebec, they say).

But it seems that in the great country to the south there are
also two definitions for the foot: 0.3048 meter and
1200/3937 meter. When I buy a tape measure made in the U.S.A.
am I getting long feet or short feet?

....Keith