Old August 17th 03, 02:52 PM
Keyboard In The Wilderness

Howdy Harry -- NO you do not "have to be in the contest" to make QSo's, nor
send in a log. So dive in!

In fact -- contesters appreciate non participants so as to increase their
scores.

Contesters are trying to maximize their scores (time is of the essence), so
best not engage them in chatter like "What's the QSL route"

For US states -- just go to QRZ or Buckmaster and mail them an SASE. (Self
Addressed Stamped Envelope). They can receive hundreds of QSL requests so
helping them with return postage is the usual.

For DX -- see Pathfinder for the QSL route URL:
http://www.qsl.net/pathfinder/WebClient/

Have fun -- and if you get a lot of QSO's -- sending in a log is no big
deal.
=============================

"Harry George" wrote in message
More newbie questions. Of course the answers will probably come after
the contest is over, but it would be information for next time.

I stumbled onto the North American QSO party and responded to 3 CQ's
before I realized what was happening. Then I found and read the rules
on the web. What I can't figure out is:

a) I have no intention of competing. Should I just stay out of this,
and go find other places in the spectrum? Or should I dive in, and
respond to any stations I can reach?

b) Do I need to turn in a log for those 3 contacts (and any more if
"a" is "go for it"), so that the other guys' logs can be confirmed?

c) I heard some people asking for QSLs. I've just been reading about
WAS and see that NAQP could be a great way to get some states. But I
also realize that a contest is a hectic time for anything as civilized
as QSL cards. What's considered proper form here?

KD7VEY
Harry