Old February 17th 06, 02:31 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
Jay in the Mojave

Default Installing CB in a 1999 Ford Ranger?

Hello Chicken Fried Steak:

Since your vehicle may not be chosen to go to the Paris Air Show, you
might consider mounting the radio on the dash. I have done this with
great success. I just throw a old towel over it in the summer.

The power connections should be routed directly to the battery. This
does help reduce some noises in the power wiring.

In my old 87 Nissan I RTV'ed in a Motorola External Speaker in the upper
aft corner of the cab so that I could hear it real well. No room for
mounting brackets.

I mounted a 96 inch Francis Amazer Fiberglass whip antenna to the upper
back part of the cab using a L bracket. I ran the coax in the floor of
the cab by drilling a hole for it, and then applying Silicon RTV to seal
it up. I used RG142 Coax, and made sure the coax didn't get wrapped up
in the drive shaft. Had that happen ONCE!

It worked quit well.

Hope this helps.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert, ....just down the road ah ways from the
fillin station.

wrote:
Ok, so I've been wanting a CB for a long time now and finally bought
one - a Uniden PC78 Elite Bearcat, 40 channels & all the goodies you
could ever want.

I've got a 1999 poor man's Ford Ranger (branded as a Mazda B-2500).
Here's my trouble:

1. Electrical connection is supposed to be made to the ignition
accessory connection. Don't know where that is.

2. Can't figure out the best place to mount the thing. Anybody who's
been in a Ford Ranger knows they're rather cozy. Mine has a 5-speed
manual, which eats up all the space over the hump up against the dash.

Anybody want to help out?