Old February 17th 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
FDR

Default Radio Shack to close 400 to 700 stores

"Billy Smith" wrote in message
link.net...
Consider the fact that now they tend to hire people at the lowest wages
possible while these people basically know nothing of electronics. It used
to be that ham radio operators, electronic experts, and those knowledgable
in electronics ran the stores. Now it's just an undereducated kid saying
"Do you want a cellphone with that shortwave radio?"

I'll tell you a personal story. A few years ago I went in there to look at
one of the shortwave radios they had as an offering. As many of you know,
they used to sell Sangean radios stamped with the Radio Shack brand.
Anyway, So I went in and asked a salesperson if a particular brand has SSB
capability. He said "Yes, it does." Well I took a better look at the radio
and did not see a switch for SSB or a button. Came back home and
researched the model number and nothing of the sort came up. If you do buy
anything there, it is best to know what you want and go get it. Because
otherwise their help isn't much good. It is a shame too considering they
were once a well thought up company. Say 30 years ago and more.

It was around 1992 that I was trying to fix a reel to reel tape recorder
with tubes, and I went into the store to ask where their tube tester was. I
got a blank look from the young girl and found out though another worker
that they had discontinued the tube tester device. Oh well, that's my "duh"
experience.

"Verstaldin" wrote in message
ink.net...
Considering the lousy quality of most of their products and the prices
you have to pay for their junk, it's no wonder.

"Sanjaya" wrote in message
hlink.net...
DALLAS - Electronics retailer RadioShack Corp. on Friday said
fourth-quarter earnings dropped 62
percent and disclosed it plans to close 400 to 700 stores and two
distribution centers as part of a
plan to improve its financial performance.

full story
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11409391/