Old February 17th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
R.F. Collins

Default 3Y0X - Peter I Island - Antarctica

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 19:26:09 -0600, "Buzzygirl"
wrote:

Biggest problem while using "split" frequency operation is operators
giving a range of frequencies for callers to transmit on. This is
fairly common but it usually results in people just caliing
continuously over the whole range and nobody can get through.

What's the range they've been instructing people on which to listen? Most DX
ops I've talked with go around 5 up from the listening frequency.

Jackie

The one night I was monitoring, it varied. On 40 meters the listening
freq stayed at 7090. When they were working in the low end of 40 (no
US SSB) they were usually 5-10 up for call. They also gave a 5-10 kc
range for a while when they moved the call frequency to the US part of
the band (around 7240). That was a mess so for a short time they also
went by the zone #'s. Toward morning they switched to single
frequencies for calling eventually going to 7226 and that is when I
contacted them.

The best way to keep track of all this frequency hopping is to go to
one of the DX IRC sites where hams post the freqs they are monitoring
or have made contacts on. Do a search for "DX Summit" and that will
take you there.

Jim