Old February 18th 06, 06:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Litzendraht

Default scr522-bc624

Chuck Harris wrote:
My first 2M rig was a decidedly breadboard contraption that used a
6J6 as a push-pull oscillator, and had a modified phonograph audio
output stage as the modulator. It had no xtal, and drifted so badly
that I could never be sure where I would end up. I ditched that
mess, and used a borrowed ARC-1 in its original 28V dynamotor condition.
The ARC-1 was pure pleasure to operate. It sounded nice (inspite of
its carbon microphone), and could change channels at a whim.

A lot of folks swapped 829's in for 832's in some of the vhf rigs, but
the ARC-1 was too compact for that treatment. The 829 was a fair bit
taller, and would run into the top of the bakelite socket assembly
the ARC-1 used.

-Chuck

Chuck,

I feel your pain. My first attempt on 220 mc. was about 1965 and I
used a breadboard contraption with a push-pull 12AT7 and I used the
output section of an Olson reel to reel tape recorder as a modulator
and B+ supply. It worked OK. Maybe a watt if I was lucky.

I remember the ARC 1's and was there an ARC 3 or 4?, but the 522's
were very common. One of my high school buddies had a 522 in the
original equipment case with the contol box. When he changed
frequencies, what a sound! Kind of a clacking, ripping noise as those
shifter slides did there thing. But it worked and sounded good. And my
"S" meter kicked up when he talked. If you recall, the driver was
modulated along with the PA.

I used 829's (or 3E29's) in both my 522 and T23/ARC 5 rigs. In the T23,
I got rid of the PA turret assy and replaced it with a nice 4 turn
center tapped coil and butterfly tuning condenser (from a 522 with a
couple of plates removed).

Those were the days! They'll never return, but I'm glad I was there and
had the experience. Sorta like steam trains and "hot boxes". How many
people today have ever seen a hot box? I'm glad I have the memories,
and no one can take them away.

John