Old February 18th 06, 07:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Ferrell

Default using coax shield to create a loading coil ?

A visit to the kitchen supplies of your local department store will
reveal a large assortment of coil forms and covers. Until recently I
have limited my antenna work to vhf-uhf. In that circumstance I have
frequently punched a snug hole in a plastic container bottom and
placed it in a bell shaped fashion over lumped LC components. It has
worked best for me to leave the bottom open for ventilation.

I have not done it yet but preliminary plans for a base loaded 160
meter vertical have me considering an inverted plastic garbage can as
a weather shield. The EZNEC models may spare me the effort on that
one!

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 06:26:14 -0800, Roy Lewallen
wrote:

dansawyeror wrote:
Roy,

Thank you. It is a quick experiment to build a test coax coil and
measure the Q. That should produce enough evidence to test a counterpoise.

In the mean time the research to build a coil out of copper tubing
continues. So far the only alternative I can conceive is to make a
wooden form and wrap the coil on the outside.

John Ferrell W8CCW