Old February 18th 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Amos Keag

Default Under Eave Antenna

stananger wrote:
I would like to install an under eave antenna at my house.
Mostly for listening but maybe some low power transmitting.
What I need is some input from all the experts here as to what supports
would work best. Also I dont want it to upset the other half
too much so it would have to be "pleasing" to the eye or damn near
invisible. As I dont have any plans or thoughts as to what would work best
I am open to all serious suggestions and ideas. It will be a loop fed with
open wire feeders is all I have in mind at this time.

Stan
AH6JR

Go to Home Depot, or equivalent, and buy 500 feet of wire the same color
as your house. [Helps keep things invisible]

Run a loop under the eaves all around the house. Bring the ends of the
loop to ground level. Electrician staples with insulated facing will
hold the wire in place.

Feed the antenna at ground level through a small auto tuner similar to
the ICOM AH-4, or one of the SGC units. Feed the Rf and control wires
from the tuner into the shack through a window sill or equivalent.

When finished, you will have a small box on or near the ground,
hopefully on the back of the house, and two nearly invisible wires from
the tuner to the loop.

An alternative feed is to use end feed against a ground rod driven into
the soil. An advantage here is that ground wire radials can be added to
the rod and stapled below the grass line for a good counterpoise.