Old February 18th 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave Platt

Default Under Eave Antenna

In article LeKJf.1049$p13.631@trnddc08,
stananger stananger@********.*** wrote:

I would like to install an under eave antenna at my house.
Mostly for listening but maybe some low power transmitting.
What I need is some input from all the experts here as to what supports
would work best. Also I dont want it to upset the other half
too much so it would have to be "pleasing" to the eye or damn near
invisible. As I dont have any plans or thoughts as to what would work best
I am open to all serious suggestions and ideas. It will be a loop fed with
open wire feeders is all I have in mind at this time.

One possibility would be the sort of standoffs which have
traditionally been used to support runs of 300-ohm twinlead. They're
something like a long-shafted eye bolt, with a plastic insert in the
center of the eye to hold the twinlead away from the metal. Some of
these are intended for mounting on a metal strap on an antenna mast
(these have machine threads on their shaft), while others have a
wood-screw-like threading and a sharp point and can be screwed into a
wood beam. You'd probably want the latter. Radio Shack still sells
'em (15-853, $2.99 for a set of four) and they're probably available
elsewhere as well.

Another possibility would be to use short pieces of PVC or fiberglass
tubing, mounted to the eves using one- or two-screw conduit brackets.
4"-6" pieces of 3/4" or 1" PVC tubing, with 1/4" holes cross-drilled
in one end for the wire, then primed and painted to match your house's
color scheme, might be cosmetically-acceptable.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO