Old February 19th 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bill Berris

Default 2m/440 antenna Q's

Hi there!
I am new to the group here, and have a couple of basic questions that I can
hopefully get some help with...

I have recently decided to start becoming active on the air (VHF/UHF) again
when I found my HT as my wife and I were moving into our new house.

I am pretty much restricted to the HT for a bit, and want to come up with a
better antenna solution. A buddy gave me a mobile 2m/440 antenna and mag
mount base that he used to use with his Kenwood TM-V7A.

Question 1 -- The coax coming off of the mag mount connected directly to the
antenna feed line input on the mobile radio. What kind of connection is
this? I need to get a cable that will transition from the antenna
feed-line to the BNC connector on the HT. I would need to get this on a
length of coax (or just the connections and make my own cable) so that it
will reach the garage. Where could I find the cable and/or connectors?

Question 2 -- I was thinking of mounting the mag mount up on one of the rain
gutters that is only about 8 feet off the ground... would the modest gain
from the antenna along with the 8' mounting provive a significant
improvement over a rubber duckie? Or, should I build a 2m J-Pole?

Thanks a bunch for any information you can help me out with -- I am looking
forward to getting my feet wet again so that I can convince my wife that I
need more radio equipment... :-)

73,

--
Bill Berris, KF6CNP