Old February 21st 06, 04:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
running dogg

Default What's wrong with my radio?

Carter, K8VT wrote:

Brenda Ann wrote:
"running dogg" wrote in message
My Yaesu FRG-8800 has been acting strangely. Tonight while listening to
the BBC on 5975 I had blasts of static interrupt the broadcast. Finally
around 0310 the broadcast became inaudible. This is a problem with my
radio, since ALL stations all across the spectrum are now inaudible. I
tuned up to 6050 khz as well as checked WWV on 5 Mhz and everything has
gone deaf. I suspect that my troubles with listening to Cuba are related
to the same problem. A week ago I had a brief problem where a very
staticky Radio Australia swamped the spectrum. What could possibly be
wrong with my radio? How can I contact Yaesu? I had their contact info
years ago when I had to send my radio in for repairs twice, but I lost
it.

They didn't just start up BPL in your area, did they?

....and if you are not sure about BPL coming to a neighborhood near you,
do you have a second radio that you can try?

I pulled my Degen 1102 out of storage, and everything is fine on that
radio. I unplugged my Yaesu and plugged it back in after 15 minutes, and
suddenly it was ok. It is definitely the Yaesu, maybe a corroded
connection. At least I have a backup. But listening to Cuba is
frustrating on the Degen, since the limits of the Degen's circuitry
exacerbate the problems with Havana's audio, making mush out of most of
the broadcast. Tonight they were talking about the secret terror suspect
shuttle service, and how terrible it was that America has 12.5% of its
population living in poverty while the rich build giant shopping malls.